As the season heads into the homestretch, we take the time out to look at the final twenty games for each of the American OHL teams.
Saginaw is the first of the American teams to reach 48 games played in the season. A mark that they reached this past Saturday with a 2-1 loss to the Kitchener Rangers.
After 48 Games: 20-24-2-2 | 44 points | 8th place in the West
The Spirit had a rough start to the season, but have been able to pick up enough wins to sneak into the final playoff spot. Saginaw might be on the wrong side of the .500 mark, but they have been helped by the fact that Guelph is in a rebuilding year, and is just now reaching double digits in the win column. Also helping is the fact that in-state rival Flint has yet to find a win in the second half of the season.
Saginaw is currently holding the last playoff spot in the Western Conference, but that’s not to say they cannot move up a couple spots. With being just seven points behind the sixth place Owen Sound, there is still a good amount of movement that can be done leading into the final weekend of the season.
Looking at the final twenty games of the season, Saginaw is in a very good position to be in control of their own destiny.
- According to SportsClubStats.com the Spirit have a 98.3% chance of making the playoffs.
- Saginaw has a 15-12-3 records against the teams they are facing for the final twenty games.
- 11-10-1-1 Home record this season.
- Ten games remaining are against teams within the West Division
- Three games out of the final twenty are against teams with a 75% win percentage.
- The Spirit play seven games against teams with a losing record.
- Still in the sights is the I-75 Divide Cup, which the series is currently tied at 3-3.
Barring any big runs from Guelph and Flint, it looks like the Spirit will make the playoffs again. The downside is that if the playoffs were to start today, Saginaw would face an Erie team (1-1 record this season) that is currently the best in the league and arguably one of the best teams in the OHL. Saginaw would have a more favorable playoff matchup if they are able to move to the seventh seed, allowing them to face a divisional rival such as Windsor (2-4-1 record this season) or Sarnia (0-1-1 record this season).